Saturday, February 2, 2013

Whiny Mommy!

I have rheumatoid arthritis. I was diagnosed at 22 but probably have had it since childhood. Most of the time- it means I move a bit slower in the mornings (or wake up earlier to compensate) and have swelling and pain in various joints. I have taken different meds over the years to combat the disease but I have been off major meds since before I got pregnant with Allison, 3.5 years ago. By the time I started feeling the need to go back on my meds after I had Allison, I was trying to get pregnant again so I just did a couple of Prednisone tapers and felt fine.

The last couple of weeks I have been feeling pretty icky, my hands are swollen, my feet are swollen (had to go back to wearing my old Crocs that I wore during pregnancy), and generally, super tired. I know, I know, I have a 9 month old, I should be tired but he sleeps from 7 pm to 6 am with one wake up at 11 pm. I know that's not causing my exhaustion! I called my rheumatologist and asked what I should do, since I'm still breastfeeding. He said to try a Prednisone burst and see how I felt. I'm a week in to a month long prescription and still feeling crappy :( Normally, by this time, I'm ready to run a marathon! I called on Thursday and was seen on Friday. He said it might be time to start thinking about meds. He wasn't sure what ones are breastfeeding safe (he'll check with the LC at the local hospital, I gave him the number!) but in the mean time to try using my braces and resting as much as possible.

I wore my foot and wrist braces last night, for the first time in ages! I wish I could say they helped and I felt great. But I woke up with numb fingers (like usual from the swelling) and sore feet. I shuffled through Lowes and Fry's to get the errands done and came home and spent the rest of the day on the couch with ice packs! I'm still swollen.

I know I'll go to work on Monday, probably wearing at least a couple of ring (finger) splints and maybe one of my foot braces. I hate wearing them in public. It always feels like everyone is watching me. I always say, I'm not sure they help but I'd hate to see the alternative!

Oh well! Mommyhood doesn't stop for issues and I have 2 awesome kids to take care of. I feel a bit better after this whining session so that's a plus :)

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had rheumatoid arthritis!! Oh no, Marjorie. I hope the doctors are able to find some meds that will work well while you're nursing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling better since I posted this- minus the bout of stomach flu we've all had this week! I think the Prednisone finally kicked in. I spent the day cleaning the house like a mad woman and my joints aren't screaming at me. My rheumatologist is amazing, he's gotten me this far and he'll find something that works.

      Delete